J'aime's Reviews > Glimpses: A Collection of Nightrunner Short Stories

2200613
Aug 08, 2011

bookshelves: m-m, fantasy, romance
Read in February, 2011

Glimpses is a more than apt title as that is exactly what the author delivers, no more and no less. These are glimpses of scenes that could have been, but weren't. This book is decidedly for diehard fans of the series, and is appropriately illustrated by fans themselves. I enjoyed it immensely.

The first story, Misfit, takes readers back to when Seregil first came to Skala, the origin of Phoria's hate of him, and how he became Nysander's apprentice. The tale made me want a prequel of some of Seregil and Micum's early adventures as Watchers. I do miss Nysander! The second story, The Wild, is my favorite - the tale of how Alec's father, Amasa, met Ireya. It is vividly told, and bittersweet. If only Alec could know it as well.

The third story, By the River, is a very brief tale of how Seregil and Micum first met. Though it has little substance, I did appreciate that it showed Seregil once had the same prejudices against Tirfaie as most of his people. The last story, The Bond, may be the most anticipated. It is the tale of Alec and Seregil's first night together. Some readers were disappointed in it because it didn't have a lot of depth. I was more forgiving because Flewelling is neither a romance author, nor a short story author. I thought the story was quite good given these constraints.

There are some homoerotic scenes in the stories, but they are tame compared to actual gay romance (i.e. not explicit). I would have given the book five stars, but for one thing. It is very short and somewhat expensive as a result. I read this in about an hour. I wish it had included a couple more stories, but overall I was very satisfied. Highly recommended to fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glimpses.