Gail's Reviews > Dragon Keeper

Aug 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, library-book
Read in July, 2011

I tend to like most any book with "dragon" in the title. This one ... was pretty good. It takes place after the great era of dragons, when the land has changed and dragons have been sea serpents for far too long and don't remember much about how to metamorphose into dragons. The one dragon left made a deal with humans to help the sea serpents she's brought up to the riverbank to change. But when the dragons emerge from their cocoons, they're damaged, almost all of them physically, some mentally. The dragon who made the deal disappears, those left behind annoy the humans, and finally, the humans decide to hire some "undesirables" to escort the damaged dragons upriver where they won't bother anyone.

One of the characters is one of the dragons. One is a human trader's wife with an obsession about dragons. One is the owner of a riverboat which is more than it seems. One is one of the dragon tenders--the one tending the dragon character.

I still think Hobb writes depressing books and I'm not sure I want to slog through any more of these, because I'm not sure I like her characters very much...but we'll see. If I can find the others at the library, I may stick with them. I did like the book. sort of. mostly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Keeper.