Kristin's Reviews > Passion

Passion by Lauren Kate

Aug 05, 11

bookshelves: yaf, series, fantasy, angels, reviewed, read-in-2011
Read from August 03 to 04, 2011

I felt a bit ho-hum about the first two books in the series, but I liked them enough to keep going. I'm glad I did. It's funny, some of the things that bothered me about the later Immortals books (Night Star and Everlasting) actually seemed to work here. There was suddenly a lot of time traveling, but since the process had already been established, it didn't feel very sudden. Her past lives weren't so detailed that it got too complicated or inaccurate, but they were detailed enough that they all had a different feel. I liked that she had a quest, a goal, a mission, and that she struck out on her own to get to the root of her love for Daniel. Unlike most YAF girlies, she questioned her love instead of jumping into it blindly. (Sure, it took three books, but it was refreshing nonetheless.) Then she finds herself in the company of a miniature gargoyle with a croaky voice and an amusing personality named "Bill," and he was a fabulous addition to her journey.

I'm not sure whether the plot actually made that much sense in terms of the rest of the story, because I honestly can't remember the details of the first two books that well. There was enough filled in that I could appreciate the story on its own, but I still feel like Luce and her mission had greater importance than just saving Daniel from an eternity of losing her. A better memory on my part would probably have helped me appreciate this book more. Now I've gone from feeling ho-hum about the series to really looking forward to Rapture. Hooray!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passion.