David's Reviews > Sacred

M_50x66
Apr 03, 08

bookshelves: to-read
Read in April, 2008

Dennis Lehane writes gritty and dark mysteries with lots of violence and tough guy talk. While I was unhappy with last year's "gone, baby, gone" film adaption with Morgan Freeman and Ben Afleck-- generally I am a fan of these violent novels. "Sacred" begins with the kidnapping of our private eye heroes and then they decide to work for this rich guy because one of their mentors has disappeared while working the case. The plot thickens faster than the country style gravy my dad used to make in a cast iron skillet, and while some of it is predictable, the conclusion is far from the expected. Lots of nice twists and turns, violence, threats of violence, fisticuffs, shooting, action, and tough guy talk. Kenzie and Gennaro are even tougher than ever as they find themselves in more dangerous cliffhanger situations than Indiana Jones could have ever dreamed of in any Temple of Doom.

WARNING: Language is pretty rough in this one.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacred.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Johnny I loved that book you sent me by LeHane EXCEPT for the language. I don't know if I'm getting MORE sensitive to language because I'm getting old and cranky (certainly not because I'm becoming more holy--though God is working on that) or if I'm reacting to the fact that society has become DESENSITIZED to foul language and I just don't like it because it doesn't really SAY anything, anymore.

David Which LeHane book did I send you? I highly recommend the one about the Island Mental Institution (I think called Shutter Island or Shatter).. which is not from the Pat Kenzie series!

I agree that we have become desensitized to strong language. To hear people using the "F-Bomb" in public in a loud manner is so offensive.

In this series, much of the language fits because the author is taking us into a foul, crass, vulgar, world-- one that Bostonians will be forced to reluctantly admit exists. The author wants to shock us with the violence, the threats, the foul character and the crassness of the world he is writing about.

I'm just not sure it is a world I really want to get sucked into-- I don't mind the violence so much, but like you, the language begins to grate and annoy me.

Johnny Prayers for Rain was the one you sent me. It's the first of his books that I have read. He's a brilliant writer like some other noir favorites of mine, but because it's set in the modern era--the language is worse than ever.