Princess Bookie's Reviews > Waiting

Aug 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read2012
Read from June 21 to 23, 2012

My Thoughts: I really went into this with high hopes. It had such promising reviews, and it is in verse, which I usually really enjoy. I liked Waiting enough but I didn’t love it. I only thought it was ok.

We are introduced to London who is mourning the death of her brother Zach. The tragedy has torn her family apart. Her mother barely speaks to her and her father is always working. London is on her own a lot of the time. She also has a friend or ex boyfriend named Taylor. He was also her brothers best friend. I liked Taylor but I never connected with him very much. Same with her new friends Lili and Jesse. They are new to the school and befriend London pretty quick. Well mostly Lili does but Jesse is usually around too. Lili and Jesse have very different personalities than what London is used too. They are carefree and nice to be around.

Waiting basically tells the story of London and how she is coping with her brother’s death. It isn’t pretty. She has so many problems just with getting up in the morning.

This novel wasn’t really what I was expecting. And the stuff we find out about Zach towards the end really surprised me, I just wasn’t expecting it.

I liked Waiting but there was way too much of a religious tone for me. I have nothing against religion in novels, I usually even like it, but this just wasn’t the right novel for me. I just had higher hopes for it than what I guess I should have.

Overall: If you’ve enjoyed other books by this author, maybe you’ll like it more than me. I liked The Chosen One and Miles From Ordinary but this just wasn’t my kind of novel. I enjoyed it enough to keep reading but it didn’t hold my attention or draw me in like I was expecting it too. I did like that it was in verse, so it was a quick read.

Cover: Like it, it's very romantic. Love how they are hugging and how we can see a part of her face and the back of his head. Love it!

What I'd Give It: 3/5 Cupcakes
_______
Taken From Princess Bookie
www.princessbookie.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting.