Tatiana's Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: 2011, children-s-middle-school, ala-ya-2012
Read from August 10 to 11, 2011

Let me tell you a secret, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is actually:

(I don't think what follows is a spoiler, but am marking it as such anyway as some people think it is.)

(view spoiler)

Rarely do I come across a book that is as far from what it aspires to be as this one. You might expect Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children to be a mysterious, deranged, quirky, horror-filled tale, but it just isn't. The novel was clearly written around a collection of peculiar and unsettling photos, but the narrative never reaches the level of creepy of the visual materials it relies on.

Instead, it is a mediocre at best book that should have had 10-year old as its characters instead of teens. And instead of artsy, angst-filled photographs, it should have had more appropriate pencil illustrations

to go with its Monster-is-going-to EAT-you! BOO! plot.

You don't believe me it's bad? Try reading the book or, better yet, listen to the audio version of it without the visual aid of the photos. See what you think of the writing then.

The photos are worth looking at though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

08/10/2011 page 41
show 1 hidden update…

Megan What do you think so far?

Tatiana Meh with creepy photos.

Jessica It gets better as you go.

message 4: by K. (new) - added it

K. I hope so. I really, really want to like this book.

Megan It continues to be meh writing with awesome photos. A huge disappointment, this book could have been so much better than it is.

Tatiana I am almost done with it. There is absolutely nothing to this book except for the pics. Very basic and juvenile IMO.

message 7: by Emily May (new) - added it

Emily May I feared as much. At least I have some scary photos to look at :<

Megan The book appears to be marketed for YA, but reads for a much younger group. A shame that something so visually striking is not better written.

message 9: by Sasha (new) - added it

Sasha i always enjoy your reviews because you keep it funny AND real. especially when you don't like a book. thanks for the review!

Laurel I'm nearly finished and I agree that the photos are the biggest reason as to why I enjoy it. If there were no photos, I'd probably be saying 'Fuck this'. I do see where you're coming from with how this book should be starring a 10 year-old.

message 11: by Nisha (new)

Nisha I love your pictures. very creepy. Sad that this didn't turn out to be better.

Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page) It's a shame - I was looking forward to getting my hands on this one. Though the pictures really intrigue me, I don't think I'd want to buy it just for that!

message 13: by Kaye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kaye Wow. I have this waiting until my month-long hiatus ends. Sorry to hear it's disappointing.

message 14: by Megan (last edited Aug 11, 2011 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Megan This is a very short review for you. Great photos, no substance. Coincidence? :)

Tatiana Megan wrote: "Wow, this is a very short review for you. Great photos, no substance. Coincidence? :)

(Although your "no substance" happens to be well written, which is more than can be said for the book!)"

Yeah, the book must have inspired me:o)

And you have already written a very detailed review of it. I agree with you on ALL the points you've made. Why repeat?

message 16: by Megan (last edited Aug 11, 2011 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Megan Tatiana wrote: "I agree with you on ALL the points you've made..."

If only the hubby could learn to use and love that phrase, life would be sweet!

lol, glad you like my review :)

message 17: by jo (new) - rated it 1 star

jo mo nooooo. don't say that.
i ordered it a week ago.

too late. late.

shit.

The Winter Rose Aw, that's so disappointing, I was really looking forward to it and was hoping it would have a strong narrative to go along with the pictures. What a shame :(

Tatiana I flipped through this book at the bookstore I really want to buy it (I read almost exclusively ebooks). Thanks for making me feel better for not buying it.

Yolie I agree with the whole X-Men theme. Also, the whole looping deal got me..loopy. I started to think of Back to the Future--one change in the past would alter the future, so I couldn't wrap my head around it.

message 21: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie Depressing. Got it for the Kindle and now I'm not so sure I want to read it. :/

message 22: by Neila (new) - rated it 1 star

Neila I thought the book was disappointing. I expected much more. The pictures were fun, but you can see those by just paging through the book rather than buying it.

message 23: by Eric (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eric Wow. This is one of the most impressive book reviews I have read, for the high production values, if nothing else. Artwork, Hi-Res photos. I suppose it is only appropriate though when the review is on a book which relies so much on devices other than just the printed word.

message 24: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Thanks for saving me from buying this book. I was initially drawn to the interesting creepy book cover and the hype surrounding the vintage photos inside the book.

Alexis This review said exactly what I was thinking when I read the book! Not only is it a regurgitated version of X-Men, it isn't even very good. :) Thanks.

Megan Mary wrote: "I agree with you about the book but there's one thing I don't agree with. Your entire review is a big unmarked spoiler. Do you think that's fair to the readers who don't want the book spoiled bef..."

Seriously? If you read the book, you should know that the "X-men stuff" is clearly tongue in cheek. Besides, what does an X-men reference spoil that the title doesn't? "Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters" vs. "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" The titles are remarkably similar, while the plot and story couldn't be more different. There are no spoils here.

Tatiana Mary wrote: "I agree with you about the book but there's one thing I don't agree with. Your entire review is a big unmarked spoiler. Do you think that's fair to the readers who don't want the book spoiled bef..."

No, I didn't intend to spoil the book and IDK how whatever I wrote is any more spoilery than the title or the book's description. But I will mark my review as containing spoilers anyway. Wouldn't want to ruin a reading experience for another reader who would rate this book 2 stars anyway.

Giselle I had very similar thoughts on this book. I was bummed too it looked totally cool.

Ariel I love your review, it was spot on. I am glad I am not the only one left feeling disappointed. It seems like everyone loves this one.

message 30: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim loved the pictures, could have been a good read.

message 31: by Kaylee (new) - added it

Kaylee Edwards I agree, and this book has recently retired to me Books I Can't Get Through shelf. I was expecting a whole lot more from this book, but all I got was a dull, drawn out plot line.

Tatiana This book is all appearances and crap writing. But again, looks sell. It is what, #5 on the GR list of most popular books published in 2011? How sad.

Tatiana Oh yeah, a sequel, or two...

Tatiana It is, but I am a little bit relieved the authors try to have definite endings to their series in mind (almost always). There are still a few old ones floating around that have no end point in sight. I have no clue how fans of those are sticking around knowing the authors are in it to milk they cash cows dry.

Tatiana And I do wonder what is the percentage of readers who read the 1st in a trilogy and stick until the 3rd. Out of a variety of trilogies I've tested I am willing to commit to maybe 2.

Megan It seems as if there are a lot of trilogies whose first book is the strongest of the set. It makes me wonder if it was all meant to be a trilogy from the beginning, or if the author was approached about a trilogy after strong sales of the first book? Or maybe it really was a planned trilogy all along and the publisher pushes for books 2 & 3 to be quickly written? Either way it is a let down ~ I always want to get rid of the subsequent books, but that feels so incomplete lol

message 37: by Tatiana (last edited Oct 12, 2011 08:10PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tatiana IDK, Megan. I think the majority do not have trilogies preplanned. Maybe they have an idea how they could add on a couple more books if their first sells well, but very few have a clear, structured picture of their trilogies. Just look at Becca Fitzpatrick. She just keeps adding on more books to her "saga" and she will I bet as long as people are buying them. Although, frankly, I am not even sure who are her fans any more. I haven't seen any coherent reviews of her 3rd - Silence.

Megan You're right, there isn't really a coherent review of Silence. Did you notice there is a fourth book planned in the Hush, Hush "saga" *shudder*

Tatiana Oh yeah, I heard now there is a 4th book. I mean, I don't even know what it the story arc of this thing. All those characters do is walk around being stupid and make out.

Megan Tatiana wrote: "...All those characters do is walk around being stupid and make out."

Sadly, that is a proven YA formula!

Crystal Starr Light Tatiana wrote: "Oh yeah, I heard now there is a 4th book. I mean, I don't even know what it the story arc of this thing. All those characters do is walk around being stupid and make out."

Spot on! I just read 100 pages in which there is no visible plot whatsoever. But, by jove, we had a kissing scene.

Bookee maybe you just didn't like the book because the book is actually meant for teens to read and not for adults. :))

Megan Bookee wrote: "maybe you just didn't like the book because the book is actually meant for teens to read and not for adults. :))"

So, poor writing is acceptable for teens? Books such as the Harry Potter series, The Hunger Games trilogy, anything by Laini Taylor or Melina Marchetta ~ just to name a few, are all written for a younger audience. Yet, there are as many adult fans as there are young adult fans for the books and authors I mentioned.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is marketed for teens, but reads as a book for much younger children. Regardless of the targeted age group though, it is a poorly written book.

Pallavi Completely agree with your review Tatiana!

message 45: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Sanchez Just wanted to tell you that your review had me laughing hysterically like an insane person at my computer while at work.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Ummm... not really. There are a lot of books that fall under the category of Xmen, and this isn't one of them . Yeah, they have 'powers' but that's where the similarities end.

message 47: by Superbunny (new)

Superbunny hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love your review :D

message 48: by jo (new) - rated it 1 star

jo mo TIM BURTON is about to adapt the book into a movie. -- this could be interesting ...

message 49: by Tara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tara I liked it, although I don't think you are wrong about the weak writing. I just enjoyed it as a fun adventure with cool photos. Definitely not a literary achievment of any sort...lol

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I think you expect too much from a novel. Novels aren't great literary pieces of work that will change the world as we know it. It's a book for entertainment, no more no less. Just relax, stop over-analyzing, and enjoy the ride!!

« previous 1 3 4