Sandy's Reviews > The Borrower

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: adult
Read in August, 2011

There are things I liked about this book, and things that I really didn't. Namely, I hated the fact that Lucy hates her job. As a children's librarian who loves her job, it was kind of hard to read about someone who didn't like it. But whatever. The eithics discussion was interesting, and I really liked the occasional style references to children's books like The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Goodnight Moon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Borrower.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea I'm so interested in your reaction to this book. Both me and a coworker tried and failed to finish it because the premise made us so uncomfortable. I've been dying to hear what someone else thinks about it - the reviews have been so good!

Sandy The premise really is kind of uncomfortable, but that's part of what makes this book work. You have to let yourself get a little bit uncomfortable to really get at the heart of the ethics questions posed here.

I bet that librarians have a much harder time with this book than non-librarians to. Librarians (especially those with an MLS, which Lucy doesn't have) are trained to have policies that tell them how to think in these kinds of situations. I spent a lot of time thinking, "Well, I would never make that decison because..." But instead of relying on library policy, Lucy relies on her emotions to make decisions. I think that's what makes it so uncomfortable for us.