Jo's Reviews > Demonglass

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Aug 05, 11

bookshelves: its-a-kind-of-magic, oh-how-we-laugh, ya, you-got-a-friend-in-me, e
Recommended to Jo by: Flannery
Read from August 03 to 04, 2011

3.5 stars.

Warning: Contains spoilers for Hex Hall....

“Somehow, my whole existence had become a really complicated world problem.
I’d always sucked at those.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
WHAT. NOOO. COME ONNN.

High Points.
Still so very hilarious. I really want to have a picnic with Ms Hawkins so I can eat sandwiches and get sunburnt just sit and laugh with at her YA pop culture references and snarky wit. I can imagine her being great company. Sophie… still loved her, but not as much as in the first one. Jenna. Vampire Ponies. Gardening (*winkwink*). England…. REPRESENT. Or… um, not really (see low points). But still.. YAY for England. Rabid demons. A much better plot than the first one. And.. um, the ending?! Holy guacamole.

Low Points.
The whole love interest shenanigans… sigh. But I’ll go into this later.
Not everyone in England speaks with “clipped” accents.
I really want to read a YA book where an unruly American teenager gets sent to a boarding school over here and when they get here they meet someone and hear them talk. Shocked, they will turn to their sarcastic, witty best friend and/or boy who is mean to them and will inevitably dry hump them in a later chapter and be all like "W-what was that?"
To which the best friend/ dry humper will turn and look at them solemnly and say "That, my dear, was what we call a Brummie."
And then she recoils in fear.
Not that I can mock anyone because of their accent…. I make Shaun Ryder sound like Stephen Fry.
I miss Hex Hall. Sigh.
Some of the ‘reveals’ at the end…hmmm, I'm not 100% sure. They have the potential to go either way.
Also, this is probably because I read these two books within a week of each other, but the first few paragraphs were a bit ‘Do you remember what happens in the first book? You… you do? OK, good. Well… I’m just going to tell you it again. Just in case.

Heroine.
Everything I have to say about Sophie I’ve pretty much said. She was still consistent (well, until the end… which surprised me a little. It was really out of character… but don’t worry guys… I looked at the page, shaking my head in disappointment. That’ll learn 'er.) in her snarky, funny ways without bordering on wise-assery.
I think Ms Hawkins did a great job with keeping Sophie as the character we all fell in love with in the first book but still allowing her to develop naturally.
She did, however, lose some well-earned Brownie points with her simpering simperiness when it came to the boys in her life.
Come on, Soph. Don’t make me brand you as an AFP. Because once we go there… there’s no way back.
Pull it together, you’re a demon for heaven’s sake. If they’re bothering you… zap them with your powers.
Start with Archer… *shifty look*

Love Interest.
OK.

*sigh*

OK…. Right.
OK.
Right well… in my mind Sophie has three options when it comes to love interest. (Three? Wait, that’s the same number of points a triangle has. A LOVE TRIANGLE. *scowls*)

Door Number One
Fawn over Archer Cross, who is mean to her, needs to fall off a cliff and a completely random non-entity character that adds nothing to the plot except to confuse our heroine and make her lose her head and make stupid decisions that could, I don’t know… KILL HER AND EVERYONE SHE HAS EVER LOVED. But.. he’s, like, a dreamboat so that doesn't matter.

Door Number Two
Hope to god that Cal grows a pair and fights for her and doesn’t just stand in the background doing sweet F.A until right at the end when he realises that… Whoops, you might lose her better do something quick to make her desire you.
I really wish Hawkins would have written a few cute scenes between Cal and Sophie becauseI don’t really see the connection between them….yet.
Saying that though, out of the boys, I am rooting for Cal.

Door Number Three.
Decide she’s sick of ridiculous boys who are either sarcastic boneheads or strong and so silent they practically don’t exist (seriously, those are her options?! Poor Soph, even a werewolf and a vamp look pretty good right now) and decide to become a lesbian with Jenna and raise vampire ponies on a ranch in Texas.

IMAGINE HOW FUN BOOK 3 WOULD BE.

Did I mention Door Number Three is bright pink?! And you get a cupcake when you open the door.

But you know.. whatever. It’s your choice, Soph.

Best Friend.
WHAT. NOOO. COME ONNN.

Papa Mercer.
OK, I loved Papa M. I think Sophie’s relationship with her dad was really realistic (or, y’know.. for demons), heart-warming and funny. (I’m glad to know that Sophie got her sarcasm from her British relatives)
I think book three is going to be amazing in this respect… especially with what happened in the end. WHAT. NOOO. COME ONNN.

Theme Tune.

Abracadabra- Jessie J

Dear Cal,
I made you a mix tape. Of… um, one song. But yeah… this is exactly how I feel about you.
Lots of love and broken plant pots,
Sophie.

Mmmm, I love the smell of wishful thinking in the morning early evening.

Angst Level.
5/10. These points are for the ending which was all dramatic and exciting and WHAT. NOOO. COME ONNN.
But yeah... apart from that, this book is a one way ticket to f-…. I promised I wouldn’t say that again didn’t I?
Fine.

.....

ONE WAY TICKET TO FUN.
I'm not even sorry.

Recommended For.
People who have read and enjoyed Hex Hall. You’ll love this one, too. People who don’t have an adverse reaction to forced love triangles (adverse: stabbing violently at people who come close to you while you are embroiled in reading about one). People who don’t mind cliff-hangers. People who think all British people live in country manors and drink tea high. I mean… um, high tea. (It’s true…we do.) People who are looking for a way to travel into London while dodging the congestion charge. People who can’t get enough of lesbian vampires. Demons that are looking for a rollicking beach read.

You can read this review and lots of other exciting things on my blog here.
16 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demonglass.

08/04/2011
74.0% "OK, I'm getting mighty tired of all this Archer business... where's Cal, goddamit?!" 18 comments

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo I feel like I need something light to fill the gaping hole that I have suddenly found myself with post-Daughter of Smoke and Bone...

Flannery You'll finish this in a nanosecond. Nothing can fill that hole though. Smoke & Bone is just laughably amazing, right? So good.

message 3: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo I can't stop thinking about it... I'm scared to write my review because I know I won't be able to do it justice.

Sigh.
But until then.... lumberjacks...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, gosh, thank you!!! You kind of sort of saved my day! I didn't expect to laugh at all, not today, but then came Jo and her pink door and well, everything got better.

Off to raise vampire ponies in central Istria...

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo Haha, thanks Maja. I wrote this review for you. ;-) I'm glad it made you smile.
Don't you think that book would be amazing? Jenna is by far my favourite character in this series. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'll agree with almost anything for a cupcake right about now... :D

I loved Jenna too, maybe a little more in the first book. Btw, you're so right about Cal needing to grow a pair, and I don't even want to talk about Archer.

Archer is mucus. A puddle of it. So there.

message 7: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo Mmmm cupcake.

I know. He has so much potential but he's just... there. I want him to be angry and forceful and strong and GRRR.

Ugh. Archer.
I bet he'd be the kind of guy who would say 'Hmm.. do you really need that cupcake?!'
To which you reply "YES BECAUSE I'M STUCK WITH YOU AND THIS CUPCAKE IS THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME FROM PUNCHING YOU IN THE STOMACH."
And then you snaffle it all to spite him.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Well said. But we are so weird. We despise Archer for being independent, angry, inconsiderate and all those other glorious things, but at the same time, we want Cal to be just a little more like him. There's no pleasing us, I tell you.

Nobody stands in between me and my cupcake, are you crazy?! I made muffins... with lots and lots of sugar. I'll probably bite someone's head off by tonight, but hey, as long as it's not mine... :D

message 9: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo I just want Cal to have a bit more oomph, not necessarily angry and inconsiderate.
It seems that he's only interested in Sophie when he finds out that someone else wants a bit.
I feel very conflicted because he seems like a decent chap... I just need more personality. I feel like I don't know him... but I want to. *winkwink*

Mmmmm muffins. There was this tea shop near my old house that used to sell the most amazing cupcakes. Whenever I'd had a bad day (or... a good day, actually) I used to go in and buy one to console/celebrate.
She actually knew my order by the end of my third year.

Haha... when you say that you go crazy when you have sugar I have this mental image of you turning into a werewolf.

With cupcake crumbs in your fur.
:-D
Best mental image EVER.

Wendy Darling I cannot believe you all hate Archer so much. I like Cal too, but how can you HATE someone for being raised the way Archer was? Did you not read the "Beg to differ" part with the raggedy breath? *flounces off*

message 11: by Jo (last edited Aug 05, 2011 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo But just because he was raised by evil meanies doesn't mean he has to be an evil meanie.

It's all about choices, Wen. CHOICES.

Flannery FLOUNCING? I just pictured Wendy as little girl skipping up to the conversation in a ruffly dress with bloomers. She stuck her tongue out and skipped off.

message 13: by Jo (last edited Aug 05, 2011 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo Skipped off... INTO THE ARMS OF ARCHER AND HIS RAGGEDY BREATH.

Sigh.

Women.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard I love Archer for his sense of humor. When they're imprisoned and joking about what they would do if they went to normal high school. I loved that. I think thats what really sold me on Archer.

And I do feel terribly sorry for him. Terribly.

message 15: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo Hmmm.. ok, fine Cassi. That bit was kinda cute (begrudgingly).
The bit about arguing in front of lockers... I did giggle at that. Although my school didn't have lockers, I could imagine it being quite fun and dramatic.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Well it's okay that you don't like my fictional boyfriend. Because he's totes my fictional boyfriend.

That part made me smile. I want someone who will be making silly jokes with me when all is lost.

Cambria this is a great review!!! Do you have a blog?

Mizuki Poor Soph, even a werewolf and a vamp look pretty good right now) and decide to become a lesbian with Jenna and raise vampire ponies on a ranch in Texas.
I'm totally roofing for it!!!!