LuvGirl's Reviews > Dancing with Clara

Dancing with Clara by Mary Balogh

I'm shocked, shock I tell you! I finally like a book from Mary Balogh! I would like to thank all the MB fans who never gave up on me, lol.

This book actually thought me something about myself. I love books that are unique no matter what theme. Who would have thought that I would have thoroughly enjoyed a book about a crippled heroine in a wheel chair? I usually like my heroes and heroines to be perfect. I figure it's fiction and it's my fantasy and to me that's one of the best things about romance. You can be anyone you choose and I choose to be perfect darn it.

I was hooked into this story from the first page. I definitely have to give props to MB on weaving this tale. She did an awesome job. She was an unlucky author for me. Every book I tried by her failed, but finally finally I got one! I now understand what all the fuss is about. She's a darn good writer! Both the hero and heroine were developed so well and you actually got to see them falling in love with each other. The hero's character was very realistic. He isn't the normal hero you see in romance novels these days. He has flaws, boy does he have flaws. He's a villain from the last book, a fortune hunter, a liar, a cheater , a gambler, a womanizer, you name it he's it. He tries to change through out the whole book but always falls short.

The heroine has a few flaws herself. She married the dude for his looks. In the end though you see the redemption of the hero, and his love for the heroine is believable. I wouldn't say he groveled much but he suffered on his own for a while before the HEA. I took away a star from this book because of a pet peeve of mine that I won't even mention because I know I'm the only one in the world with this pet peeve. Another thing was that MB did not add an epilogue and the book really needed one.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing with Clara.

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla That's why I kept reading chick in pants books. I knew one day I'd read one I liked. :P

I've given up on spinsters, though.

LuvGirl And that's why I continue to read these new books that comes out now. Hoping I'll get lucky by numbers. I mean, out of 100 your bound to find one, lol.

LuvGirl If anyone knows the name of the book that has the story of the hero's best friend and the companion, please let me know :-)

message 4: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully LuvGirl wrote: "If anyone knows the name of the book that has the story of the hero's best friend and the companion, please let me know :-)"

Courting Julia

LuvGirl Thank you Agentscully :-)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Now I'm curious about your pet peeve....

LuvGirl Lol, it's at the top of my review on my shelf. I'm kind of embarrassed to say it because I know it's petty and a little shallow, but I likes what I like and can't help it. Okay here it goes.... The hero got rebuffed by the other woman when he asked her to marry him. I just feel like everyone should want to marry the hero, lol.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Hey, everybody has their preferences. No worries or judgments from me!

message 9: by Jacqueline (last edited Aug 29, 2011 10:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jacqueline Tempting Harriet is the name of the companion's book. Courting Julia is the book before Dancing with Clara and is the one where Freddie is the "villain" although I never thought he was that villainous.

I'm glad you found one you liked. Were you trying MB's recent books or her earlier ones? I much prefer the earlier ones myself and Dancing with Clara is one of my all time faves.

message 10: by willaful (new)

willaful So glad you found the Balogh that worked for you. Other excellent unusual ones: A Precious Jewel (Signet Regency Romance, AE 7619) (Dark Angel, #6), A Promise of Spring.

LuvGirl Thank you Jacqueline and Willaful. I will check those books out.