Jason Kristopher's Reviews > 7th Sigma

7th Sigma by Steven Gould

Aug 04, 11

Read from July 25 to August 04, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. The blurb had me going "Wow, that sounds fascinating!" Unfortunately, when all was said and done, the book didn't live up to my expectations. Steven Gould did a good job telling the story of the book, but it's not exactly the one I was expecting from the description.

Gould apparently based the character of Kimble Monroe on the titular character of Rudyard Kipling's "Kim", which I've never read, nor do I have any intention of reading. So I can't comment on other reviewers allusions to or comparisons between the characters.

It was well-written, engaging, and the characters were believable. Although Kim was on the "well...... okay, I guess" side. A little bit of magic hand-waving and I could get from the street urchin to the master spy with some effort. Street kids are supposed to be nigh-invisible, and I could see him being a master of the observatory craft in trying to stay away from the Territorial Rangers. I liked how Gould referenced the Baker Street Irregulars at one point in the story, because that's how I saw Kimble.

Once I got past the idea that the story I thought I was going to be reading - about the metal-eating bugs - was actually more of a sideplot, I could finally get into the novel. It was a good spy story, and the addition of the aikido made for an interesting twist. Ultimately, I was left wondering just what the deal was with the bugs. There was no real resolution there, just some vague references to other plot points that didn't happen until the last two pages.

All in all, it was a good book, though I wish I'd bought the ebook instead of shelling out the $30 for it at the bookstore. Although for $11.99 as an ebook, I'm not sure I would've done that, either. The blurb needs work to more accurately set the reader's expectations, but it's still a well-told story.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 7th Sigma.

08/03/2011 page 208