Trish's Reviews > Murder Passes the Buck

Murder Passes the Buck by Deb Baker

Aug 08, 11

bookshelves: fiction, mystery-lite, kindle, series
Read from August 02 to 07, 2011

After her neighbor is shot in his hunting blind 66-year old Gertie Johnson, a widow living in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula) in Michigan forms an ad hoc investigation agency consisting of her man-hungry best friend, Cora Mae (think Blanch Devereaux,), and larger than life, pin-curled friend Kitty to find the killer.

Gertie is a hoot; she’s feisty, snarky, and wholly independent (despite her son’s petition to get her a guardianship). While I didn’t laugh out loud per se, it did bring lots of grins and knowing smiles to my lips. Few cozy mystery heroines are this funny and entertaining. I can’t believe this series hasn’t been nominated for a Lefty Award (humorous crime novels)!

While the mystery is really secondary to Gertie, her friends and her family, Baker still does a fine job of creating a cozy mystery and I really didn’t figure it out until Gertie did, so all in all it was a fun romp of a read perfect for a lazy summer vacation. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder Passes the Buck.