Conroywt's Reviews > Wise Blood

U 50x66
Aug 03, 2011

liked it
Read in July, 2011

This book was easy to get through and engrossing page to page. O'Connor is able to maintain a sense of mystery around her characters by maintaining a narrative distance at certain times that explains in surprising detail the physical movements and positions of the characters in scene but limits a reader's understanding of their mental state by either keeping the explanations of it simple or obscuring their feelings in the language of his or her own mental instability. Though each character is unstable, she gives each realistic spiritual or worldly yearnings, making them, for the most part, sympathetic if grotesque characters. By the end though, I felt I was unable to interpret many of the actions of the characters in a meaningful way and so I was left feeling like I missed something or perhaps that I wasn't smart enough to get "it", whatever it may be. Stylistically O'Connor achieved suspense and mystery in her narrative distance and her creation of such abstract and unstable characters. Her descriptions were acute and at times paradoxical in a way that added depth to each scene.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wise Blood.