Ali's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

Aug 03, 2011

liked it
Read in August, 2011

This is a novel which certainly keeps the reader turning the pages - although I did find the beginning a little slow to get going. Overall though it is a page turner, wryly observed and humorous with distinct and realistic characters.
The fourth novel to feature former police officer, and now former private detective Jackson Brodie. Jackson has finished with Edinburgh after the events of the previous book and returned to his native Yorkshire. With his ex-partner Julia a frequent critical voice in his head, and a new doggy companion called The Ambassador, Jackson is trying to find out the true identity of an accidental client in New Zealand. Meanwhile shopping centre chief of security and former police Superintendent Tracy Waterhouse, in a moment of madness does something that will have an enormous impact upon her life, and see here running scared. Both she and some of her former police colleagues are reminded of a dark time and a horrible crime from the 1970's, the consequences of which are still being felt. Tilly an elderly actress - working alongside Jackson's Julia in a TV drama, is finding life a constant confusion, as she finds herself on the periphery of Tracy's actions, she is reminded of some of the tragedies of her past.
This is a fairly easy read, witty and engaging, but maybe not my favourite of the Jackson Brodie novels. Plenty of twists in the plot keeps the reader on their toes, though there are maybe one or two coincidences too many.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.