Ruby's Reviews > Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant : Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone

Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant  by Jenni Ferrari-Adler

Aug 03, 2011

Read in November, 2012

I committed a faux pas in reading this book in one sitting at the coffee shop. See, I had bought it as a birthday present for a friend, but when it came in the mail it was just so pretty, and I love so many of the authors. I didn't read all of the essays, though, so maybe it doesn't count. We were sitting on our respective couches in her living room, reading our respective books, and I kept having to bite my tongue wanting to blurt out, "did you get to the Anne Patchett yet?"

My favorite, and also the one I found most sad, was the American woman whose Israeli ex-husband ruined any passion for cooking she might have developed. With constant criticism and a smug outlook on food in general, he dismissed her opinions, and cooking attempts, as beneath him. Really I think food makes or breaks a relationship. I've met plenty of nice men who are date worthy, but that I knew were doomed because they don't like Indian or Thai food, my staples. One of my biggest fears of ever having a relationship again is having to cook for a man, gasp, especially for a large man. The brawnier and brainer a man, the more attractive I tend to find them, but I'm kind of a disaster in the kitchen. Especially now that with my current job, I find myself in hotel rooms and campsites much more often then in a place with actual appliances.

We all have to eat alone sometimes. Read it, it's fun.

* I just finished re-reading this book, and finishing all of the essays this time. They get sadder as the book goes on, and I found some of the final essays really pulling at my gut with that feeling you get that is a precurser to wanting to cry. It really is a lovely collection of essays.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant .

05/08 marked as: read