Anne's Reviews > Three Weeks With My Brother

Three Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas Sparks

Apr 06, 08

Read in April, 2008

From the author of The Notebook and Message in a Bottle, this is billed as an account of Sparks's three week trip around the world - visiting locations such as Easter Island, Macchu Picchu, the Taj Mahal, and Ankgor Wat. It is more importantly, however, a memoir of Sparks's entire live to date, a look at his interesting family dynamic - the lasting impact of his mother's words, and his incredible bond with his siblings. The travel aspect takes a back seat - especially since the Sparks's choose to take their trip as part of a travel group of over 80 people that focuses on churches and museums, rather than taking in the everyday life and culture of the incredible cities they visit. Often times, Sparks's observations of a given country are glib and bordering on insensitive, albeit admittedly humorous. Sparks's stories about growing up, however, are endearing - and the pain he suffers in losing people he loves and coping with his own developmentally delayed child - brought tears to my eyes. Sparks is also painfully honest about possible mental illness in his family, and his own struggles with excessive stress and guilt. While I enjoyed the travel aspect, it was simply a vehicle for Sparks to tell the real story - a very meaningful one about survival, love, and the importance of family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Weeks With My Brother.