Rafi Bloch's Reviews > Falling Boy

Falling Boy by Alison McGhee

U 50x66
Aug 03, 11

Read in August, 2011

I thought this book was a perfect summer read. It could even be assigned summer reading for students going into high school or eighth grade, as it deals with coming of age and the idea of heroes. I know that the heroe's journey was a theme with my ninth grade cirriculum. This book deals with two boys, Zap and Joseph, who work in a bakery in Minneapolis. Joseph recently moved there, after having an accident that bound him to a wheelchair for life. While Joseph deals with his new surrounding and circumstances, he learns some life lessons. Zap becomes his friend, whose dad owns the bakery. They deal with many eccentric characters who come to the bakery on a daily basis, including a little nine year old girl named Enzo. Enzo is full of anger and rage; she holds a 'clickster' all the time and pretends to interview Joseph in order to find out if he really lived on a island filled with bees and can fly. This book examines the woes of being a kid/teenager and dealing with circumstances of reality that are often out of your control. Characters are very life-like, and the description in this book is very cinematic. You can see everything happening before your eyes as if you're watching a movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Boy.