Jessica's Reviews > The Accidental Genius of Weasel High

The Accidental Genius of Weasel High by Rick Detorie

Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: children-s-books

Targeted to children or teens that have enjoyed the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, The Accidental Genius of Weasel High is told using a journal type of format from Larkin's point of view. I say journal, but it's really a written blog assigned by his English teacher to chronicle his life, interests, hobbies, or whatever else he wants to write about. As with the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, this book features graphics and cartoons, but in a less appealing way. The graphics and cartoons do not look like something a 9th grade student would draw, but look more like a graphic created on a computer. Although they go along with the story, they tend to be a little cheesy. The story read like an actual story rather than the journal it was supposed to be.

Aside from these two points about the book that I felt were kind of lacking, there were two major flaws that I just couldn't get over. First, and most importantly, I didn't feel like Larkin's character was real. Although he was supposed to be in 9th grade, it seemed like his character would be better suited to be between grades 5th-7th at most. Larkin's words and actions just felt young. I do think if his character would have been written as a younger boy the book would have been more believable and I would have definitely given it a higher rating.

The second major flaw I had with this book is that Larkin believed his best friend Brooke, who happens to be a female, is actually his girlfriend. If Larkin was a younger character, I might be able to imagine how he might think they were boyfriend-girlfriend. Yet, I couldn't really believe that a 9th grader would not understand that there relationship was anything other than friends.

The Accidental Genius of Weasel High did have some humorous parts and explained experiences that readers would be able to relate to in their every day lives. However, the flaws in this book overpowered the more positive aspects of it. If you're looking for a Diary of a Wimpy Kid readlike, a more appropriate recommendation would be The Defense of Thaddeus Ledbetter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accidental Genius of Weasel High.