Therese's Reviews > Loving Frank

Aug 11, 2008

Recommended to Therese by: A friend
Recommended for: Everyone over the age of 18
Read in August, 2008

The minute I picked up this book, I was mesmerized and could not put it down. At the same time, I didn't want it to end. It was the riveting, clandestine love story of Frank Lloyd Wright and his commissioned client, Mamah Borthwick Cheney. It took place around the turn of the century and was historically correct in every page. I instinctively knew the author hailed from Oak Park, IL where Wright's first of many architectural masterpieces were introduced, laying the foundation for his artistic revolution. This author's first novel was a heart-throbbing masterpiece. In as much as I toured and studied many of his homes in the Oak Park, IL area in my earlier years, this chapter of FLW's life clearly evaded me. His artistic audacity and arrogance were part of his nature which eventually set him apart from all other architects of his time and probably to this day. The author had the ability to take a very judged and scandalous journey for that time period and in turn created an understanding as seen through the eyes of the lover's hearts. The book gave us insight into the inspiration and origin of many of his influential designs, as a result of the integrated ebbs and tides throughout his career. Moreover, this book highlighted and spoke the very contemporary, pre-women's movement voice of Mamah Cheney. Although the ending was horrific, it truly was an exceptional book. As soon as I finished this book, I "ran" to see his home in Oak Park as well as the Cheney home where this story begins. I continued on until I re-visted about 10 of his structures that were meticulously woven into the timeline of this unbelievable story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Frank.