Kris's Reviews > The Night Bookmobile

The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger

Aug 03, 11

Read in August, 2011

Very quick read. Surreal is best word to describe; found it enjoyable & haunting because of the subject matter--life of reading--and becoming consumed by it, which we can. In Niffenegger's "After Words" section, she wrote, "When I began writing The Night Bookmobile, it was a story about a woman's secret life as a reader. As I worked it also became a story about the claims that books place on their readers, the imbalance between our inner and outer lives, a cautionary tale of the seductions of the written word. It became a vision of the afterlife as a library, of heaven as a funky old camper filled with everything you've ever read. What is this heaven? What is it we desire from the hours, weeks, lifetimes we devote to books? What would you sacrifice to sit in that comfy chair with perfect light for an afternoon in eternity, reading the perfect book, forever?"

This made me think--what are we giving up now to read--and will we ever know whether the trade (sunlight for reading time, for ex.) is a good one? I usually choose the book but sometimes I don't think it's the wisest choice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Bookmobile.