Steph's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

3192797
Nov 13, 14

bookshelves: dnf

Edit #2: I just... I still hate this. Not even the narration can save it.

Edit: Giving this another shot because I like the narrator, Davina Porter, and I like so few narrators it seems. I figure it will be easier to look past the fact that this is probably longer than it needs to be by listening to it instead of reading. Also, despite things I am told are coming near the end, if I can enjoy Game of Thrones despite certain things, then I might be able to enjoy this too. We will see though.

---

I made it over two hundred pages into this book but cannot see myself reading over six hundred more. I can see the appeal of this novel but it's just not for me. I also heard that at some point, there will be a scenario involving abuse between the two main characters, and I lost even more of my desire to read it. I was already dreading having to pick it back up again but that definitely sealed the deal for me. I've got far too many books on my to-read list to waste so much time on one that I am just "meh" about and don't love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

09/11/2011 page 217
08/08/2012 page 12
36.0% "Do these people ever stop having sex? My greatest fear is that my headphones will be ripped out of the IPad at work and it's completely quiet and then all of a sudden everyone hears Davina Porter talking about Scottish peens."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shere' (new) - added it

Shere' Whoo! I really enjoyed this series. It took awhile for me to get use to the age difference between Claire and Jamie but I blame it on me being young and ignorant of the fact that there is life beyond 21.

Steph There is life after 21? I'm actually thinking after 24 I'm just going to woosh disappear because of old age. Anyway, I'm only a few chapters in.

Amanda The only reason I rate this book so low is because of the abuse at the end of the book. And actually calling it 'abuse' is a light term to what goes on. I would never pick up another in the series because of it.

Evelyn I couldn't finish this one either, got a bit further than you and had to put it down indefinitely.

Kate I'm sorry you didn't like it! It is a great historical series, but I can understand how some might not be able to continue :)

Kate The narration for the first book is pretty great, although I don't know how you're going to sit through 16+ hours of narration when you didn't get through 200 pages. What I want to say is that you'll like the next books in the series, they take on a different tone and are very enjoyable, but you have to get past Outlander which I tend to look at like a prequel now. The six consecutive books involve four main characters, instead of just the two.

Crystal Starr Light I adore Davina Porter. She really brought Claire to life for me.

Steph Being at work five days a week 8-5 is how I might be able to get through it ;) I am glad the next books focus on other characters. Davina Porter is so great. The voices don't sound ridiculous and over the top like so many tend to.

Crystal Starr Light That's how I was able to get through the huge audiobook. Davina Porter makes listening to Jaime much more enjoyable than I can imagine reading his lines would be. Some narrators don't do much to make their character voices different (maybe a stylistic approach, but it's hard when you are a listener); others do a horrible job of reading the opposite sex.

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Yeah, I enjoyed the fact that should did a great Scottish Highlander accent, and also that you learn how to pronounce character's name's the proper way (Laoghaire was Lay-Oge-Hair for me for the longer time, until Davina Porter set me straight with it, Leery).

I did find myself wishing that they had gotten a manly Scottish Highlander to read for Jamie, but it was still great! xD