Jennifer's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

Nov 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011, mystery
Read in November, 2011

My reading of this latest book in the Jackson Brodie series coincided with watching the BBC productions of the first three novels so I was fully entrenched in Jackson and his world. (Really enjoyed the shows, by the way - recommend!) This latest book is full of Atkinson's wry sense of humor and her ability to interweave several plot lines with similar themes. She is very good at creating believable quirky characters although I felt like we were spending a little too much time on these guest players as opposed to focusing on Jackson as the star. (Was the Tilly plot line was even needed? I would think we could have gotten the same outcome without all that added dementia? ) Atkinson also relies heavily on coincidence - which I realize does happen in real life and yet seems like cheating when I see it used to resolve story lines in fiction. Started Early Took My Dog felt like Atkinson was playing it safe. I remember her earlier books (Human Croquet and Behind the Scenes at the Museum) having more edge. Would love to see Jackson in the forefront of the next book but with a more satisfying plot line and a bit more grit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.