Sylvied's Reviews > Choices of One

Choices of One by Timothy Zahn

F_50x66
Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: star-wars, timothy-zahn, mara-mara-like

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this book. I really enjoy Timothy Zahn, particularly when he's playing in the Star Wars universe, and I developed an unhealthy attachment to Mara Jade at a relatively young age so I'm possessive enough of her character that I get grumpy if anyone messes with it. (Most of the NJO books got thrown across the room when I tried to read them. I gave up on them long ago and live in the past now Star Wars wise.)

This book avoids some of the flaws I found in its precursor, Allegiance, and I generally found it more enjoyable. It was slow to start and like most Zahn books, goes into more mechanical and military tactic detail than I usually wish to read, but once it got going I really enjoyed the multiple storylines and growing intrigue (Zahn does multilayered intrigue very well) as to who is really pulling the strings.

I thought the characters were accurately written based on the their personalities and dynamics at the beginning of the Empire Strikes Back and it was refreshing to see them like that again. I noticed the lack of obvious love triangle but I always felt that even when Leia kissed Luke in Empire, they both knew it was all about Han for her so I never bought the love triangle as being that intense.

I found Mara far more enjoyable in this book than in the previous one. In Allegiance she seemed like a stuck up kid always throwing her status around. Here she actually seemed like a skilled operative.

Regarding characters that can't meet, I was expecting another series of near misses and I appreciate that Zahn took us down a different path.

I recommend it for anyone who loves Zahn's approach to Star Wars and wishes the prequels had the charm of the originals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Choices of One.