Jaye's Reviews > Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline

Kids Are Worth It! by Barbara Coloroso

U_50x66
Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction

I like some of her advice but definately didn't agree with all of it. Example: she suggests that when your teenage daughter asks you if she can go to a party where drinking will be involved and you don't want her to, she says to use the phrase "convince me"...doesn't that just mean, "come on, argue with me"? I don't know, I don't find her to be very realistic.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kids Are Worth It!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bunnyjadwiga Yeah, if I said, "Convince me" I'd be banging my head against the wall all the time. I think the author of "I'd Listen to My Parents If They'd Just Shut Up" has it right. No matter how illogical a child's wants, many teenagers will keep arguing until you stop engaging.

message 2: by Dory (last edited Oct 01, 2014 09:22AM) (new)

Dory Hamlin I think that you are missing the point of "convince" - aruging is not the same as "present a case that might persuade me." By asking the kids to "convince, you are asking them to present their case (like a lawyer in court) - they have to come up with lots of reasons & rationale why they should be allowed to do the thing they asked to do.

And there's a Part 2 - after they give you all the reasons why they SHOULD be allowed, ask them to give the other side and give you all the reasons why they should NOT be allowed.

The point is to teach them to think through the whole process rather than just acting on the emotional WANT of the moment.

If they are not capable of presenting a well-thought-out case, then they haven't succeded in "comvincing" :)

AND, often times, by being forced to think things thru logically, they end up talking themselves out of the things they originally asked for.