D. Biswas's Reviews > Cut

Cut by Patricia McCormick

Aug 03, 11

It is a young adult novel (and somewhat of a cult classic, as I discovered afterwards), and I thought I would just browse through it, because the premise looked interesting: a teenaged girl who cuts herself.

Having in the past read about all the hoo-haa some people have raised about how young adult books are unsuitably dark, I wanted to see how the subject was treated here....from the cover and the blurb, I knew it was not a cheerful, fluffy book.

I began reading, and I was hooked. The voice of the girl who did not talk, but was talking to me, left me spellbound. I cried several times, at the searing honesty of that voice, at the suffering this girl and others at the treatment facility go through, at the ultimate ending of hope. I finished reading the book in four hours.

Hats off to Patricia McCormick for so convincingly entering a disturbed teenager's world, not once sounding didactic or theatrical, and keeping me with the story throughout (which, with my current attention span of a monkey, is not easy to do). A searingly honest and moving book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cut.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica I think this is the best review I've read on this book so far. Finally!

message 2: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica I think this is the best review I've read on this book so far. Finally!