Tom's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Aug 03, 11

The Great Gatsby is set during the 'boom' in America in 1922. In my opinion it is an indication of what life in a prosperous area of America was like during that time and it has underlying themes of corruption and deceit leading to vast riches and wealth.
The characters are all very pretentious and it is hard to really relate to any of them. The narrator, Nick Carraway, is able to notice this and see through all these hollow people, the majority of whom have little or no substance at all.
I thought the love story between Gatsby and Daisy was very moving as it illustrated brilliantly the difficulty of trying to recapture a point in time, an experience that I am sure most people have encountered at least once in their life. Various effects of the war are brought out in this book and although it does not go into too much depth, it does enough to accurately reflect what life was like in that period.
I loved the fact that Gatsby had created this whole new persona for himself in order to escape from his childhood and become a new person. His story was moving and in the end very sad.
Overall I think that F. Scott Fitzgerald writes very well and it was certainly an easy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.