Andrew Ives's Reviews > The Mystery of Edwin Drood

The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens

Aug 03, 11

To say nothing happens in this book would be an understatement. The plot vaguely meanders along, characters come and characters go with very little reason why, as if it was written with hardly an end goal in mind. After the first few pages, once I had realised the main characters were clergymen, clerks, a simpleton stone mason, an auctioneer, a young urchin etc, I didn't expect it to be like Miami Vice, but it really is tedious and overly-verbose in the extreme. Most of the 'action' if I can call it that, happens in Cloisterham which, at the very beginning, is described as a place where not much happens. The really annoying thing with it is the 'mystery,' which is not really resolved or even strongly hinted at one way or the other. The reader nears the end expecting some kind of clever denouement which just never comes. I'm generally quite a Dickens fan, but this is possibly the most boring book I ever read all the way through. Avoid. 2/5 stars.

However, if your book also includes Hunted Down, this is nothing like Edwin Drood and at only 20 pages, is a reasonable read. 3.5/5 stars.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mystery of Edwin Drood.