Brooke's Reviews > On the Jellicoe Road

On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Oct 26, 11

bookshelves: aussie-ya, i-own-a-copy, realistic-fiction, swoon-worthy-males
Read from October 19 to 26, 2011

Okay. So, 4.5 stars.

I can't lie, that last third really got me going. What an ending. Gutwrenching, amazing, just... love.

I so wish that I was able to read this in one sitting. I think now that things are clearer, my initial thoughts, or doubts if you like, (as suspected) were unwarranted. I just wish that things weren't so hazy for so long.

Ms Marchetta has this way, with each of her books, of crafting characters that you just adore. Characters with emotions so real that you read and are left feeling raw and cut open and wanting to hug them and let them know that it will get better.

I loved Taylor. Truly, I did. She's probably one of my favourites. And little Jessa, god love her.

Griggs, Griggs, Griggs. You're a tough one. I think you're a keeper, though. Pretty perfect for our girl.

I'm just gonna say, pages 284 - 289 - WOW. Call me crybaby.

Looking for Alibrandi will be my next read by this amazing Author I think. I just hope that she has something as special as this coming out soon (but if not, would begging, bribery or blackmail help?).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Jellicoe Road.

Quotes Brooke Liked

Melina Marchetta
“He stops and looks at me. 'I'm here because of you. You're my priority. Your happiness, in some fucked way, is tuned in to mine. Get that through your thick skull. Would I like it any other way? Hell, yes, but I don't think that will be happening in my lifetime.”

Melina Marchetta
“When I turn around, he cups my face in his hands and he kisses me so deeply that I don't know who is breathing for who, but his mouth and tongue taste like warm honey. I don't know how long it lasts, but when I let go of him, I miss it already.”

Melina Marchetta
“It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love.”

Melina Marchetta
“Because being part of him isn't just anything. It's kind of everything.”

10/19/2011 page 30
10.0% "This book is confusing me :( I'm finding it hard to settle into." 15 comments
10/25/2011 page 86
29.0% "*sigh*... this one is disappointing me... struggling! It better pick up soon..." 3 comments
10/25/2011 page 187
62.0% "OK. So, some dots have been connected, and I'm definitely curious to find out more. Still, nearly 2/3 of the way through and I'm not fully appreciative of the crazy love this book has received. I have hope, however, that I will be addicted by the book's end. No doubt my doubts will be unwarranted ;o)" 1 comment
10/25/2011 page 226
75.0% 9 comments
10/26/2011 page 249
83.0% "See, now that's what I expected a lot more of - an amazing, emotion filled page. Wow. LOVE - 'What were you doing with her?' 'Apart from questioning her about your whereabouts, I was listening to the most intriguing story about my life moonlighting as a kidnapper.'"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mayomi You are in for a ride with this book. Its so amazing

Brooke Thank you! I've picked it up so many times and put it back down. It will be my 3rd Melina Marchetta book. She is amazing :)

Mayomi I know right, I did the same thing. After reading this book, I made it a mission to read all the books she has written. They are equally as amazing.

message 4: by Brooke (last edited Oct 19, 2011 06:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brooke Haha, well I have Finnikin and Looking for Alibrandi sitting here waiting to be read, too, so I'm good to go ;o)

Mayomi Ahhh! Finnikin of The Rock is my favorite read this year, closely followed by this

Jasprit Happy reading Brooke, can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one :)

Reynje Enjoy! The first part can be confusing, but push through, it's so worth it! :)

Brooke Haha, thanks Reynje, I'm about 12 pages in and a tad confused, but still. I just love Marchetta's writing style. She sucks you in every time.

message 9: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra you will be confused in the beginning. i was too and i think so was everyone i know who has read it. but please keep going, it's a beautiful book

Aly (Fantasy4eva) This is one of those books that guarantee a better reading experience the second time around. Things are confusing for the first 100 pages but I mixed that up with a slow pace. When I read it the second time around everything just fit into place and the first 100 pages didn't drag any more. I would definitely recommend you to read this a second time when you have time. Jonah <3

Janelle I read this one back to back, because of the haze at the beginning - & because I loved it and wasn't ready to leave the characters ;)

Mayomi Great review Brooke!!! the book really hits you, doesn't it?