Chris's Reviews > Age of Greed: The Triumph of Finance and the Decline of America, 1970 to the Present

Age of Greed by Jeff Madrick

Nov 07, 11

Read from August 03 to October 17, 2011

This book smashed it; Madrick is a gangster and he keeps in funky for the full 496 pages.
I read this because his pieces for the NYRB are always top-notch, illuminating and focused. I ran across this book at Dulles airport (IAD) and thought, "why not? If he's good enough to write for the NYRB, I can certainly spend some time with a full book of his."
A bit formulaic at times, but the depth of analysis and range across inter-related topics had me mentally headbanging to this blistering and thorough explanation of the past 40-odd years of ideologically-implemented changes in American culture, politics and business — to the detriment of all but the richest classes and with the increasing immiseration and decimation of the middle and lower classes.
I WKIW (Would Kick It With) Madrick, or at least attend one of his talks, without hesitation. Toss your anodyne and tranquil Thomas L. Friedman, Nicholas Kristof, or Joseph Stiglitz books to the curb...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Age of Greed.

11/07/2011 page 496