Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Working Stiff

Working Stiff by Rachel Caine

Aug 24, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, zombies, thriller
Read from August 22 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy

I'm a big Rachel Caine fan, so when I heard she had a new series coming out, I had to get the first book. And man, am I glad I did! Even though I've still got the last two Weather Warden books on my TBR bookshelf--on purpose, because I'm just not ready to say 'goodbye' to that series yet :(--I knew this one wouldn't sit there for long. I wasn't wrong. ;)

When Bryn Davis goes to Fairview Mortuary for her first day of work, she sure as hell didn't expect it to become the day from hell! Seriously. Sure, her boss seems nice enough and is keen to train her thoroughly, but anything that can go wrong, does. Not to mention that she stumbles onto a disturbing secret big enough to get her killed.

But being killed is only the start of her ordeal, because she then becomes involved with Patrick McCallister and Joe Fideli, to take down the powerful pharmaceutical company, Pharmadene, before their evil plot can take hold with a revolutionary drug that will change the world...

OMG, I absolutely loved this book! Everything about it was fantastic. It was a very unique twist to the zombie genre, that's for sure.

I really liked Bryn. The poor thing goes from one bad situation and into another, becoming a pawn in a very dangerous game. Not to mention that she's not exactly human and has to deal with that every single day of her life. Oh, and McCallister. Yeah, he was cool too.

If there's one thing Rachel Caine can do very well is write memorable, strong heroines and mysterious, brave heroes. Then she likes to throw this winning combination into impossible situations. The tension in this book kept me guessing from start to finish, and I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. Not to mention that even the secondary characters were awesome! Mr. French was a cutie. Oh, and Manny Glickman and Pansy Taylor from The Red Letter Days series make an appearance. I loved it.

Okay, I'm officially hooked on another Rachel Caine series, because this book was a total winner! :)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Working Stiff.

08/21/2011 page 61
20.0% "Wow, what a start to this story! Rachel Caine does it again..."
08/21/2011 page 111
36.0% "One word, so far: awesome."
08/21/2011 page 117
38.0% "Ooooh. the plot thickens..."
08/22/2011 page 169
55.0% "OMG. Manny & Pansy are in this book! Awesome. :)" 2 comments
08/23/2011 page 276
90.0% "OMGosh, this book is amazing!"
08/23/2011 page 306
100.0% "Wow! Amazing book. :)"