Mandy's Reviews > Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen

Aug 02, 11

Read in August, 2011

I struggled to find the point of this book. It seemed like one long, drawn-out pity party, where the author occasionally said something funny, and also completely off the wall. She was all over the place, and I dont think she managed to make it through a chapter without mentioning how her husband left her for a man named Bob from Gay.com. I began to wonder if she was getting paid to mention Gay.com in her book. There was one point that I actually did relate to the author--when she mentioned how she is fiercely committed to a book when reading it, and can't leave it even if she hates it and is struggling to find a point. I felt that completely.

Although this book held no interest for me, I would be interested if she were to write a book about say her mother or even her childhood. Something along the lines of "A Girl Named Zippy". I think growing up Mennonite is probably hard and hilarious all at the same time. And her mother, well, I would really like to get to know her. I think she sounded fascinating, the few times she was mentioned. Used wax paper to pack a funky Mennonite lunch? Yes, please. An autoharp? Sign me up!!

This book had potential, but I think the author wasn't quite ready to let go of her "poor me" point of view and it really came through in the book. That, and her completely scattered approach. Several times I had to go back a couple of paragraphs because I couldn't figure out how we changed tracks so quickly. I thought maybe some pages got stuck together .
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress.