Dee's Reviews > The Bonesetter's Daughter

The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan

F 50x66
Aug 02, 2011

Amy Tan is such an awesome author. She really pulls you in to her stories. I have handed this book to my mother, who thinks she is "loosing it" and wanted her to know what a woman loosing it really experiences. But in this story, the mother seems to tell more truths, that have never been uttered, as he mind starts to go. At first, as Ruth's mother tells the doctor that she is older than Ruth knows her to be, Ruth chalks it all up to her mother's mind going. Then she tells everyone that the woman known as her mother (Ruth's grandmother) wasn't really her mother. Ruth becomes more concerned until she finds some writing her mother has done. Written in Chinese, she takes them to someone to translate and begins to learn more about her mother and her life than she had ever imagined. The beauty of her stories is that you don't feel like some drama is unfolding. The stories she tells unfold themselves and as a reader, I feel like I have just been dropped down into her stories to be an observer. I have several of her books and look forward to finally reading the ones I haven't read yet. The Joy Luck Club is an all-time favorite. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it as well.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bonesetter's Daughter.