Brian S.'s Reviews > The Screwtape Letters

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: audio-book
Read in July, 2011

Wow!!! What a great book about the frailty of man. Uncle Screwtape (a demon) writes a series of letters to his nephew (a lesser demon) about how to win the soul of a human being. I was listening to this while working on the treadmill. I initially turned it off as the material seemed evil and disturbing at first. However, the more I listened to it, the more intrigued I became. C.S. Lewis is a religious writer but do not let that keep you from reading this book. This is more about public policy and social values. It applies today just as well as it did in the 1940's.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Screwtape Letters.

message 1: by Nostromo (new)

Nostromo CS Lewis renowned Christian Apologist and good friend of Tolkein. My favorite is Mere Christianity. He also wrote Narnia series.

Brian S. Yes, sir. I knew all of that. I have read/audiobooked about half of the Narnia books. I downloaded the Screwtape Letters on a whim right before I deployed. Amazing book.

message 3: by Nostromo (new)

Nostromo You are reading good stuff. I am reading Pale Fire, by Nabokov. Kind of dark, but good lit. PB

Brian S. I am about to start Devil in the White City. I am still trying to finish ATLAS SHRUGGED, sir.

Almost home!!!

message 5: by Nostromo (new)

Nostromo You mean Atlas Yawned. Started but hated. Why 1200 pages that an editorial in the WSJ could do in one!

Welcome home!

Brian S. I am home, now, Captain. I think you are right about Atlas Yawned. Maybe that is why I am having such difficulty finishing it. My CO is a voracious reader. His list is very deep with philosophy and catholicism. What I love about him is that he is a prior MMC with 36 years in and tries to come across as the every man/knuckle dragging sea dog. However, he is very well read and extremely brilliant. He knows not to engage most people in political arguments because they have not done their homework. What is validating is that we see eye-to-eye on many things.