Tiffany's Reviews > Cum Laude

Cum Laude by Cecily von Ziegesar

Aug 02, 11

I have always been a big fan of the Gossip Girl series of books, so when I read a magazine review revealing Cecily von Ziegesar's so-called 'adult' fiction, I was excited. I went out and bought it immediately, and admittedly, it sat on the shelf for a bit. While I was able to devour this book in less than 24 hours, I found that it was because I was starving for something... unique.

As far as I can tell, von Ziegesar's books all have a common element. They usually depict well-off, ridiculously spoiled teenagers from Manhattan, all living it up on their parents' black AmEx cards. Cum Laude's cast of characters made me sit and think "Well, hey, haven't I read this before?"

The book jacket describes a review calling this a witty satire, which leaves me wondering... is it only satirical because so few people have these college experiences? While experimenting with drugs and sex is a common theme across the college ideal, the extent of the drama in these books left me feeling out of the loop. I'm not even sure that I know anyone from my own school experiences who went through anything remotely similar like von Ziegesar's cast of characters.

I can honestly say that it's worth 2 1/2 stars, because it was quick and fun to read, but to say anything else about it would be stretching the truth. It was the bare bones of a novel, totally devoid of any real substance or meat. In the end, I think I'll simply stick to re-reading von Ziegesar's Gossip Girl series when I want something juicy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cum Laude.