An Odd1's Reviews > Temeraire: In the Service of the King

Temeraire by Naomi Novik

Aug 02, 2011

bookshelves: fan, fantasy

***** "In His Majesty's Service" collects the first three books of Naomi Novik's Temeraire series: "His Majesty's Dragon", "Throne of Jade" and "Black Powder War", reviewed separately, and a short story. "In Autumn, A White Dragon Looks Over the Wide River" tells how Lien meets Napoleon. The title evokes her origin in a culture of poetry, centuries of knowledge, and aristocracty. The albino Celestial (most intelligent breed) dragon left China for revenge. Her prince was killed trying to destroy Temeraire and his Captain. Lien convinces the Emporer of France to finish the war against Britain. She is spoiled, snobbish, sad and determined. So we smile at her affectations, feel sorry for her loss, and admire her intelligence and fortitude. Her entitlement demands reward her with top treatment.
The best of the first books are here: humor, appropriate style, action, feeling a part of history and location, morality, loyalty, admirable character in female and beast, plus a twist. She is the villain.
Since I couldn't find the right title in Goodreads, I posted the review in the nearest approximation.
I wanted this edition:
Publisher:: Del Rey,
Pub date:: c2009.
Pages:: 818 p.
ISBN:: 0345513541

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temeraire.