Heidi's Reviews > First Frost

First Frost by Jennifer Estep

Aug 03, 11

Read from August 02 to 03, 2011

This is a quick short story prequel for Jennifer Estep's new series Mythos Academy. I was immediately drawn in from the first pages. The novella follows a Gypsy girl named Gwen who has the magical gift of psychometry; the ability to see images by touching objects. In the opening pages Gwen touches the hairbrush of her classmate and discovers a horrible secret. From here things take a dramatic turn for Gwen. I will skip over the events that change Gwen's life forever to avoid spoilers...Gwen then suddenly finds, with no explanation, that her beloved Grandmother has enrolled her in a new school for fall. Gwen discovers this information from a visit from a strange Professor Metis, who is a teacher at her new school, the Mythos Academy. Gwen is told this a special academy for students who have magical abilities like herself. Gwen is then taken on a tour of the academy. The tour is definitely intriguing.Things at the Mythos Academy are strange and foreign. I can not wait to read the first installment. I am interested in the eccentric statues on campus and certainly want to know more about who or what the students are being trained to fight. I am wondering how Gwen is going to fit in at her new school and finally I want to discover more about her strange dream with the red eyes. All in all a great into Ms. Estep's new series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Frost.