Hope Corizzo's Reviews > Now They Call Me Infidel: Why I Renounced Jihad for America, Israel, and the War on Terror

Now They Call Me Infidel by Nonie Darwish

Apr 03, 08

Recommended to Hope by: Jennifer G.
Recommended for: anyone
Read in March, 2008

This selection is for two book groups. It was recommended by a neighbor who prefers non-fiction.
I was a bit bored in the beginning pages, until I realized that I needed the history of egypt to accept Ms. Darwish's POV on radical Islam and current terrorist tactics. It was important to understand the succession of leaders in Egypt, the ordinary family dynamics, education system, economics and information flow of Egypt from the 1950s to present time to not feel overwhelmed and skeptical of her claims. After about 50 pages, the author begins a methodical explanation of how her own experiences and understanding of Islam thinking and actions shapes her alarming view of modern radical Islam. Note: She has found that there is no 'moderate' Islam. So while 'radical' seems, well, radical, she feels that those who claim themselves 'moderate', are truly 'radical' by OUR/the Christian/Judaic standards.

This book was eye-opening, and I feel uncomfortable discussing it with anyone who has not read the book. The opinions are strong, and out of context, are difficult to swallow. Bottom line: Our western civilization's foundation of brotherly love and acceptance is seen as a weakness to Islam, and will therefor be used and abused to further the mission of Islam.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Now They Call Me Infidel.