Jay's Reviews > A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-children
Read from August 02 to 06, 2011

I seemed to have missed this book when my daughter was at the age to have read it. She tells me she did read it in her youth, but it was not one of the books we shared at the time of her reading. Not having read it to her, I knew the title but not the book’s content.

This year for my twin granddaughters' 9th birthday, their father bought the book for Hannah who, of the two girls, seems the more steadfast reader. Hannah suggested that we read it together. Her proposal: She would read a chapter aloud and then I would read the next, spreading the reading over several nights. Hannah, as it turned out, read the lion’s share of the book to me over several lazy summer afternoons. She read it effortlessly, stopping from time to time to clarify a meaning of a word or to check her understanding of the novel’s plot.

The story captured Hannah’s imagination. She was caught up in Meg Murry’s search for her father. She was fascinated by the concept of tesseract. I’m not certain she grasped the totality of the concept, but I’m not certain I understood it any better. However, even understanding it imperfectly, she thrilled to the excitement of the worlds created by the author.

For me, the reading itself was a moment of shared joy with one of my grandchildren. What better way to read a child’s classic? Seeing it through the eyes of a child and hearing it through her own voice.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wrinkle in Time.

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave I am so glad to hear that this classic has been passed to the next generation!