Amy's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites
Read from August 02 to 11, 2011

Rothfuss's prose manages an effortless balance between readability and poetry, and he somehow makes the familiar tropes of the genre both entirely new and highly thrilling. Reading the hero's tale as a retrospective in his own words--as his own present frames the story--creates an interesting and emotionally charged metafictional structure that both entertains and enthralls. The Name of the Wind is a staggeringly beautiful literary experience. The sleepless nights are totally worth it.

This may well be my favorite series of all time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

Quotes Amy Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

Patrick Rothfuss
“It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Will Miller Yay!! Please please let me know when you finish this book so we can discuss it! I absolutely loved it.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy I should be finished in the next day or so. I'm afraid to say anything until I'm done. :)

Will Miller So... your review was absolutely gorgeous!! I can't wait to talk to you about it at Con. I felt like I'd been bludgeoned (in a good way) when I finished this book, it consumed me that much. How is it not in every home in America?

message 4: by Carrie (new) - added it

Carrie I think that's the best review on a book that I have ever read....

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Will: Thank you! I feel the same way (bludgeoned, but thrilled about it), and I'm already recommending it to others. John hasn't read it yet, so no spoilers at Con! I can't wait to read the second book, but I am--I want to give it my full attention, so I'm waiting for the December holiday season, when I'll be out of school. Nothing less than my full attention will do for something this wonderful.

Carrie: You must read this series. You must. Music. That's all I'm saying.

message 6: by Carrie (new) - added it

Carrie Yes ma'am!

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy And thank you for the lovely compliment.