Casey's Reviews > A Sound Among the Trees

A Sound Among the Trees by Susan Meissner

3194216
Aug 13, 2011

Read from August 07 to 12, 2011

Susan Meissner’s voice in Christian fiction and her authority with words sucks me in with the cadence of her writing in the story she weaves.

There is an incredible amount of subtext in her latest novel “A Sound Among the Trees” and I was excited to pick up a book blending two of my favorite periods: contemporary and historical Civil War. The book didn’t delve into as much of the latter as I would have liked, but was more focused on how the past actions of previous lives rippled down three, four generations.

In one way, I was expecting a “surprise” or “bang” of a literary moment, if you will, and wasn’t surprised with a different twist, but once I closed the book I realized the story really didn’t need one. It’s a story that defies genre and redefines what a novel should be: a really good story – well told.

It’s so hard to write a review for this book, because it doesn’t fit any one mold. I can’t say it had a thrilling romance, or a heartrending tragedy. And for new readers of Susan’s work, I think you have to experience it for yourself.

I can say, Meissner writes with grace and beauty, but with a great authority with the craft. Her dialogue is swift and to the point, her characters three-dimensional. Deep and wide, her stories always leave me craving more. I think you will too.

This review is my honest opinion. My thanks to the Amazon Vine program for my copy to review.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sound Among the Trees.

08/10/2011 page 130
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Stokes Who are you reviewing this one for? I loved her book The Shape of Mercy! :)

Casey So did I! And this one is already starting really good.

I got this one through the Amazon Vine Program. It's a private program on their site to review and I happened to be invited several months ago.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie How's this one, so far?

Casey Good!

message 5: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Reffner OK, this might be a silly question but what is the amazon vine? Is this if you've written a certain number of reviews for them??

message 6: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia Reffner I love the Civil war though, so this sounds great!Q

Casey It's not a silly question. :) I got an email from them several months ago saying because I seemed to be a trusted reviewer on their site, they wanted to add me to their review program. Basically they send me a list of things once a month I choose to review from and this was one I chose. :)

It doesn't have a lot of the Civil War in it, but what it did have and what it combined from the present and past was good.