Randy Lacelle's Reviews > The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards

M 50x66
Apr 03, 2008

bookshelves: art-books, drawing
Recommended to Randy by: found it in a bookstore
Recommended for: Anyone who has failed at drawing before
Read in March, 2003

This book was very helpful to me when I began to really draw. Betty convinces you that you can draw no matter what... maybe part of it is that placebo effect but that never worked for me before :P

Anyways she has alot of good information in the book, she also has some exercises I found helpful in forcing your mind to study a image and each part of it in concordance with other parts to attempt to more accurately depict your drawing. In other words it helps your image stay as close in proportions to the original as possible. Unbelievably to me it worked the first time, I mean my drawing was no where near perfect but it was much better in proportion than any previous drawing I had ever done. I was quite surprised.

While this information is helpful and the book will certainly make you a better artist there is nothing like practice. Unless you practice alot you will go nowhere so keep that in mind :)
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.