Vikram's Reviews > The Weather Makers: How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth

The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery

M 50x66
Aug 02, 11

I learned one thing from this book - that humans have a great capacity to mess up the environment through their actions. Two examples from the book stand out, the first is the depletion of the ozone layer from CFCs. Flannery states that if action hadn't been taken when it was, then we would be in far worse shape then we are now. He mentions that we were lucky bromine was not used in air fresheners and whatnot as it has a far greater rate of destroying ozone. Gave me chills. The other example was of "clean coal". Before scrubbers were used, sulphur by-products were common in the burning of coal. This actually reduced global temperatures since SO2 reflects light, and when clean coal became more readily available post-1950s the temperature of the earth rose again.

These are some of the examples in the book that, I'll be honest, made me realize how anthropological causes of climate change were not new. And that unintended consequences of human action are hard to predict. My advise is to read this book, but at the same time, look at the data to make your own judgements on the current debate about global warming. I'll admit that I do believe in global warming from anthropogenic causes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weather Makers.