Vikram's Reviews > The Anubis Gates

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers

M_50x66
Aug 02, 11

I know what you are thinking; not another time travel novel. But this one is really good! The plot involves our intrepid hero, a slightly nebbish professor with an interest in early 19th century English literature, traveling back in time with a wealthy industrialist to hear a lecture in 1810 from Samuel Coleridge. But then things begin to go horribly wrong....Brendan Doyle (the protagonist) is trapped in the past, and has to eke out a living there while at the same time escape the attentions of a body-shifting werewolf, an evil puppet-master, the king of a band of gypsies and some other assorted villains. Tim Powers brings alive the streets of London and the sands of Egypt in this tale, and manages to serve up generous dollops of magical realism and Egyptian mysticism in the process. There is also the interesting story of William Ashbless, a poet from the same time....but to say more would be to spoil the story.

I would recommend this book to those who enjoy a certain amount of "high magic" in their fantasy literature, and dont mind a bit of romanticism as well (there isn't too much "grittiness" in the plot). The only minor criticism I have about the plot is that events happen in the past just the way they are supposed to, and we never ponder the philosophical implications of time travel, i.e, what if things proceeded just a little differently.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anubis Gates.