Sarah's Reviews > Revolutionary Road

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

Aug 02, 2011

This is brilliantly written, but as another reviewer put it, "heartbreaking."

Yates really allows his readers into the lives and the personal emotional turbulence of Frank and Alice Wheeler. We somehow are able to identify with them, and yet pity them. Suburbia is treated as the true villain in this story, boxing Alice into an unending, unfulfilling life as a housewife and Frank into the constant pressure to provide for his family.

Yates leaves none of the character's thoughts out. They freely question themselves and we are brought into their uncertain world.

Perhaps the most brilliant character is John Givings, a neighbor's son who is living at an insane asylum and is occasionally brought to the Wheeler's home in his mother's hope to be "normal" with some peers. He says everything we, as the readers, are thinking without remorse and with a true desire to know the truth. Though he can come off as abrasive, he is the kind of person I wish I could be at times: unapologetic and without pretentious polite chatter.

Prepare for the tumultuous relationship between Frank and Alice and to witness more than one awkward moment with various affairs and fights. It's a great book and speaks truthfully about the "average" American in suburbia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revolutionary Road.