Katie Stout's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Nov 09, 12

bookshelves: vamps, kindle-books, netgalley-edelweiss, harlequin, post-apocalyptic
Read from November 06 to 09, 2012

I really wanted this to be better. I love Julie's Iron Fey books - it's one of my favorite series ever. I'm not usually drawn to vampire books OR dystopian books, so when you put them together, I'm definitely not interested. But when I heard about this book, I thought, "Well, it's Julie Kagawa. It has to be awesome, right?" And while it wasn't bad, it definitely wasn't my thing.

First and foremost, this book is sorta creepy. And it's definitely supposed to be. It reminded me a lot of the movie/book "I Am Legend," with this zombie/rabid population that feeds on humans at night and the possibility of a cure that the MC will do anything to find.

In her review, my Goodreads pal Stephanie from Cuddlebuggery likened this book to the lovechild of "Underworld" and The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and I think she's very right! Unfortunately, I didn't much care for either of those. I don't like scary things. They, well, scare me. I can handle creepy stuff in books better than in movies, but this book still sorta freaked me out. The rabids were too similar to zombies, and I don't do zombies. Like, ever.

Also, I thought the beginning was REALLY slow. Like...wow. I understand why she included so much of it, but I still felt like it dragged until at least the 50% mark. But if you can wait that long, I felt like the story really picked up once Allie teamed up with the human group looking for Eden.

As far as characters go, I was just sorta ambivalent about all of them. Allie suffered a little from I'm-tough-with-no-personality syndrome, but she was a vampire, so I could maybe overlook some of her unrealistic kickbutt skills. Zeke was sweet, which I appreciated, but he didn't strike any cords with me. I'm still waiting for Julie to create another Puck or Ash for us all to fall for, and maybe Zeke will end up becoming a character we all love, but he isn't now.

My favorite character was probably Kanin, Allie's sire. Mostly because he's so shrouded in mystery. And he's a vampire with a conscious, like Allie. I found him really interesting, and until the whole vampire family dynamics were brought up at the beginning, I was hoping that he was young and could be a potential love interest. (I don't think his age is every described in the book.)

Probably my favorite part of the book was the integration of Biblical themes. I thought this was done REALLY well. Julie drops a lot of Christian references and themes, and even Bible verses, but it never felt overbearing. These characters are genuinely questioning faith and whether God has abandoned their world or not. I also loved how the group of humans looking for Eden (the almost-mythical city where no vampires or rabids live) are almost described as the Children of Israel, on their way to the Promised Land. The symbolism was really great, especially considering (view spoiler) Was that on purpose, mayhaps? I don't know, but I appreciated the connection nonetheless.

Even though this book was totally not something I normally like, I felt like Julie wrote a book that was still enjoyable. She kept me interested the second half, and I'm debating whether I want to read the next one or not (whereas I'm definitely not reading any of the sequels to other vampire dystopians I've read).

And on a side note, the cover is terrible. That girl is totally not Japanese. Just saying.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

11/06/2012
15.0% "Finally getting to this, after it's been sitting on my Kindle for months. I'm not usually into vamps, but it's Julie...so...I'm hoping I like it."
11/07/2012
26.0% "*sigh* I do so dislike Luke Skywalker-esque training scenes where the MC becomes hardcore in the span of 20 pages..." 2 comments
11/08/2012
38.0% "I'm bored. Not sure how that's possible when there's so much action..." 2 comments
11/08/2012
48.0% "The integration of Biblical quotes and themes is done very well, I'll give her that. I like how the group she's with is almost like the Israelites."
11/09/2012
77.0% "Okay Old Chicago might be one of the coolest post-apocalyptic cities I've read about. This book really is very atmospheric."

Kadbury(Young Readers) I wasn't a huge fan of this book either

message 2: by Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ (last edited Nov 09, 2012 04:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ I enjoyed this but not as good as the Iron Fey for me either. I agree with most of what you said although overall I still enjoyed it more. Zeke was pretty meh. Kanin was cool, but yeah, I dont think it will go in the love-triangle direction, unfortunately. Love-triangles are usually a bad thing for me, but Kanin would add to it imo, since Zeke is lacking. And yeah, the girl on the cover is totally not Japanese but I think she is gorgeous so I still love it. :P

Katie Stout Rebecca ♥ Ash, Four, Peeta ♥ wrote: "I enjoyed this but not as good as the Iron Fey for me either. I agree with most of what you said although overall I still enjoyed it more. Zeke was pretty meh. Kanin was cool, but yeah, I dont thin..."

Yeah, Kanin seems a no-go in the romance department. Which is fine. I just think he would have been a more interesting love interest than Zeke. But I can see that maybe Allie needed someone stable and nice, whereas Kanin's own demons would only make Allie's worse.

Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books) I always love reading opinions that differ from my experience with a book. I would name The Immortal Rules one of the best books of 2012 I am very picky when it comes to vampires and this book hit the sweet spot for me. I totally agree about the cover though :)

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Lol. Our taste is SO different. I didn't like the Iron Fey, but really liked this one. Bahaha.

Katie Stout Christina (A Reader of Fictions) wrote: "Lol. Our taste is SO different. I didn't like the Iron Fey, but really liked this one. Bahaha."

Of course. lol But I love fairies, so I think that's one of the reasons I loved the Iron Fey so much.

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ KM wrote: "Christina (A Reader of Fictions) wrote: "Lol. Our taste is SO different. I didn't like the Iron Fey, but really liked this one. Bahaha."

Of course. lol But I love fairies, so I think that's one of..."

The Iron Fey was my first faery series and I loved it! It's my fave YA series. I have read 2 other faery series since that just don't compare. Where as I usually love vampires. But this just didn't grab me.

Katie Stout Rebecca ♥ Ash, Four, Peeta ♥ wrote: "KM wrote: "Christina (A Reader of Fictions) wrote: "Lol. Our taste is SO different. I didn't like the Iron Fey, but really liked this one. Bahaha."

Of course. lol But I love fairies, so I think th..."

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) KM wrote: "Have you tried Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series? That was one of my first, and I loved it. A lot darker than the Iron Fey but still great. "

I really like that series! We agree! *is shocked*

Katie Stout Christina (A Reader of Fictions) wrote: "KM wrote: "Have you tried Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series? That was one of my first, and I loved it. A lot darker than the Iron Fey but still great. "

I really like that series! We agree! *is ..."

Really?! YAY! I was straight addicted to those books right around the time the third one came out, and it was an agonizing wait for book 4. I still haven't read the last one because I know that once I finish it, the series will be officially over and I'll be sad. lol

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) I think I was sort of meh about book four, but my memory's fuzzy. I also don't really remember most of the characters at this point, so I might need to reread the whole thing at some point.

Katie Stout Christina (A Reader of Fictions) wrote: "I think I was sort of meh about book four, but my memory's fuzzy. I also don't really remember most of the characters at this point, so I might need to reread the whole thing at some point."

Yeah, I didn't love book 4 as much as the first 3, I think because I didn't like the Dark Court as much as the others. Plus, I always wanted Niall with the girl from book 2 but then he got with Irial and I was pissed. lol But I heard that book 5 goes back to all the other characters, so I'm curious to see how everyone ends up.

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Oooh, I had the feeling that might happen in book five, so I definitely need to just go back through the whole series, because I would miss all the impact going 'who are you again?' I love rereading, so this is exciting.

message 14: by Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ (last edited Nov 09, 2012 07:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ KM wrote: "Have you tried Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series? That was one of my first, and I loved it. A lot darker than the Iron Fey but still great. "

Yeah that's one of the two. I enjoyed book 1, hated book 2, book 3 and 4 were better. Haven't read 5 yet. The other one is Holly Black's Modern Faery Tales.