Sheldon L's Reviews > The Birth of Tragedy

The Birth of Tragedy by Friedrich Nietzsche

M_50x66
Aug 02, 11

Fabulous explication of the origins of tragedy by Nietzsche. In his first book, he discusses the importance of the blending between Dionysian energies and Apollinian energies in creating art - namely, the tragedy.

Then he traces how Socratic thought through Euripides attempts to make the tragedy intelligible to the regular Joe by removing the irrational aspects (Dionysian) and making the tragedy have a rational unfurling.
By bringing the spectator on the stage, Socrates and Euripides effectually neuter the art of tragedy and bring about its death.

Nietzsche uses tragedy as a metaphor to critique the over-scientific nature of his (and consequently our) time.
His nuanced, textured position both criticizes and praises Socratic teleology... he appreciates the promising nature of science but he hates also how Socrates ruined an art form that gave humans metaphysical comfort.

Nietzsche wants us to use intuition to develop a newer art form that will save us from the nihilism of the death of tragedy/Christianity!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Birth of Tragedy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nigel (new) - added it

Nigel Sequeira Nice review. I think I'm going to pick this one up very soon.