Kathleen F's Reviews > Waiting for Daisy: A Tale of Two Continents, Three Religions, Five Infertility Doctors, an Oscar, an Atomic Bomb, a Romantic Night, and One Woman's Quest to Become a Mother

Waiting for Daisy by Peggy Orenstein

Apr 03, 08

bookshelves: literary-nonfiction-memoir, self-help-conception-motherhood
Read in April, 2008

Motherhood doesn't come easy for lots of women, especially those who defer the chance to have children until later in their lives. I'm on the cusp of being diagnosed "infertile," and figuring out what path to take from there--IVF, IUI, Clomid, etc. etc., or trying more natural/alternative methods,, or accepting that I won't have biological children of my own. All of it is frightening to me. And all of it is expensive.

I appreciated this book because it offered a roadmap to what my experiences might be like in the coming months/years, some cautionary tales, and some validation. Particularly compelling was Orenstein's commentary on Japanese customs and choices surrounding fertility and motherhood.

A quick read: it only took me 5 or 6 hours. But then I find such subject matter compelling, especially when it has a happy ending (Orenstein conceived/bore a daughter naturally at age 41. It may be a false hope, perhaps, because she didn't have the health problems I do...but it's hope nonetheless.)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for Daisy.