Karin's Reviews > Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus

Junie B. Jones and the  Stupid Smelly Bus by Barbara Park

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: children-s-books-preschool-gr-3
Read in July, 2011

I've seen this series in the library but never picked it up until i was looking for another easy chapter book to read aloud to my 5 yr old dd. We've read 2 of them now- this one and the Pet Day one. This review will be about both of them.

The series is very funny. DD and i look at each other and just laugh at some of Junie's antics ( ie the actual pet Junie brings to Pet Day). They have enuf pictures in them to satisfy my visually-oriented daughter. ( Some of the other early series books lack this, she thinks.) Junie is a feisty original thinker. Not the teacher's pet, that's for sure. As my dd has attended Junior Kindergarten, i think she knows how to behave at school, so i don't think she is getting any ideas about how she could act there.

The books are written as if Junie is speaking and unfortunately the author does not use proper grammar. I think that reading is a time for little children who are just getting used to how to use proper grammar to hear how it is supposed to sound. A 10 year old reading a book where a 5 yr old is speaking can understand it's not correct grammar but is used because that's how a 5 yr old really does speak. A 5 yr old, OTOH, does not know this and thus can think that that is how one says it. So i correct the grammar automatically as i am reading.

Reading this series reminds me that i'm not the only one with a sensitive, independent-minded child who wants their own way no matter what.

Other excellent series for little listeners (girls esp.) are Tess & Abby Pet Sitters series (Goldfish dont blow bubbles by Weibe) and the Magic Treehouse books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus.