Isamlq's Reviews > Starstruck

Starstruck by Cyn Balog

Aug 02, 2011

liked it
Read from August 02 to 04, 2011

I cringed. Multiple times. On Gwen's behalf. So many unfortunate things happening to one girl: an accidental encounter with someone's nails that turns bloody for her; a wardrobe malfuntion that's so ill timed, it's almost tragic; a ten dollar hair cut on the fly. And a pinching incident that had me questioning her intelligence.

I wanted to smack WISH on one occassion too. One incredibly revealing moment where he more or less says 'being beautiful sucks.'

But, I confused myself by hoping for a moment of Christian, the pothead poser, who's just might be literary scholar (her words, not mine)

And now, I'm torn. Did I enjoy it or not?

I like funny. Really, I do. And while Gwen's observations of others dripped with sarcasm and had me laughing, the comments she directed at herself were PAINFUL to read. Self-depracting humor isn't a bad thing, but when it's page after page after page of just that well, I could only feel sad for her. One thing is clear: she has a very unhealthy relationship with her body. Oi! And all that in the first half of the book without WISH. Once he's in the picture things got a bit more awkward/confusing.

Was she too focused on the physical? Or were the people around her too focused thereon? Was she too sensitive, wrapped up in how others saw her? A resounding yes to all questions. I think these are the things that had me not loving her as a character (even given her humor, which zinged.)

And Startstruck would have been an OK humorous contemporary read too. One-third in, two-thirds in and I was thinking, predicting really that it'd be a 'love is blind' story, along the lines of that Black/Paltrow movie. You know, a funny and sweet romcom. And it was at first, but come chapter twenty-something, I hit a wall when a new element was thrown into the mix. AND I really don't know how I felt about the direction the story went after that!

I mean really, wasn't it already imbalanced with him looking the way he did and her feeling the way she did? Did it really have to have a magical/cult explanation? Seriously? Without that, STARSTRUCK would have been a three point five for me, given Christian, and Gwen's humor, but with that twist, I have to settle for a 3

***
Favorite line:

"It's all me. I'm not just one flavor. You're not either. So it all comes down to which 'you' you want to show the world."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starstruck.

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela Looking forward to your review. Been thinking of reading this.

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko me too, me too!

Isamlq oh lordy... i got side tracked by another book (GM) will definitely review once done though... so far so good anyway :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Hmm I can't tell if you liked it or not. I had higher hopes that it would be an outstanding read for you.

message 5: by Isamlq (last edited Aug 05, 2011 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Isamlq JoJo (Jo Anna) wrote: "Hmm I can't tell if you liked it or not. I had higher hopes that it would be an outstanding read for you."

lol! let's just say that i liked parts of it... ;)