Bill's Reviews > The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time

The Beak of the Finch by Jonathan Weiner

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: favorites

Let's start here: Someone really should invent a new word. Evolution, like gravity, is fact. It's far beyond theory status, as most people seem to use and understand the word. And damnit; it's not something you "believe" in (that would be like saying you believe in dirt). If you refuse to see that, you have an issue. You are somehow invested in believing something patently untrue. Why could that be?

Dunno...it is completely baffling to me.

This book ranks with McCullough's John Adams and Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich in my list of non-fiction favorites. Clearly written, fascinating, enjoyable, clear, focused and concise, directed toward the layman but backed up with real science, verifiable facts and an ultimately undeniable thesis make for a book that should be required reading for everyone (it will be for my kids).

The book seems to lose some steam towards the end as the author tries to make some larger points. In general, he's probably more or less on the mark, but perhaps he strays too much from his main topic and expands too quickly points which may seem obvious to some but are more questionable to others. Other than that, it's nearly perfect in its scope and tone.

Highly, highly recommended...if you haven't read it yet, seeing that it was published in 1994.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beak of the Finch.