Tara's Reviews > Fifty Years and Over of Akron and Summit County

Fifty Years and Over of Akron and Summit County by Samuel A. Lane

Apr 03, 08

bookshelves: own, history, unfinished
Recommended to Tara by: J. Gregory Sager

One of my most cherished books. Comprehensive early history of Akron, written by the Ex-Sherrif of Summit County. Although there are some dry, boring parts, for the most part it is very readable. Even the paragraph headings are entertaining: "The Big Sleigh Ride of 1856", "The Lunatic Horse-Thief", "How 'Curly' Fooled Them All". I think Sam Lane had a flair for the dramatic.

excerpts:
"Space will not permit a recital, even in the briefest terms, of the many exciting episodes of my Sheriffalty-efforts to break jail-mutinies and insubordinations - attempts to commit suicide-one by cutting his throat, at the moment of starting him to the penitentiary, and another (a girl) by drowning herself in the bath-tub, though I am happy to say that-no thanks to our noisome and rickety old jail-I never lost a prisoner, either by sickness, self-murder or escape."

"In April, 1881, without solicitation on my part, though violently opposed, not only because of my radical Republicanism, but also of my radical anti-saloonism, as the Republican nominee, I was elected as Mayor of Akron by a small majority (60) over the then Democratic incumbent, one of the most popular members of his party in the city, John M. Fraze, Esq., in which capacity I served the people faithfully, if not brilliantly, for a single term of two years."

I am delighted by him saying he served "faithfully, if not brilliantly" and by the phrase "radical anti-saloonism".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Years and Over of Akron and Summit County.